Thursday, April 3, 2014

Social Networking

Social Networking

Social networking resources that would be helpful for working with diverse students could include sites such as Facebook and Twitter; two of which I am becoming more familiar with using.  Let’s look at the facts: there are 750 million Facebook users worldwide and 100 million Twitter users worldwide.  40 percent of those Twitter users do not actually tweet, but sign in to read others’ posts.  The current value of Facebook rests at $80 billion (The Fiscal Times 2011).

More and more, teachers are at least making an effort, in my opinion, to become familiar with these social media sites and some even include them into the lesson planning.  Our district uses Twitter for updating sports scores during game coverage and tweeting reminders and announcements.  We also have a school spirit Facebook page that any club, organization, sports team, etc can post information regarding student recognition and/or accomplishments, school-wide announcements or information that the student body would need to know.  Of the two, I think our students interact more with Twitter than Facebook.


I strictly use Facebook for my personal, family use. I have not tried to use it for educational purposes, although I do have a Facebook PowerPoint lesson plan (see attached) that could be used to illustrate a public figure in our history. 
Twitter, in my opinion, would be very easy to integrate into the classroom.  A teacher could set up a class hashtag and each student could add information and tag the class; sort of like what we do for this course. We all use the hashtag #STJedutech – check us out!

5 comments:

  1. The idea of using twitter as a backchannel for ideas is an excellent idea! I will be watching for your student twitter activity this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The numbers of growth in the article you shared for Facebook and Twitter are mind blowing. I was just using Facebook for my personal use also, but have started using Twitter and it more for educational purposes. I'm not ready to use either with my students yet. I have introduced twiducate to my students and they are loving it. The Facebook Power Point Lesson is a new idea for me. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your idea of the hashtag for your classroom. I think it is a GREAT idea for upper grade levels. I have created one for my parents, as I teach first grade. I am unsure how much it is being used by my parents. But it is fun to know that I am posting there for them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the idea of having a hashtag for you classroom. I want to incorporate this for our early childhood center that I work in! That would be a great resource for parents and families!

    ReplyDelete