Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Web 2.0 tools: Glogster

I use the free Web 2.0 tool, Glogster, in my Word Processing class when we work through our career unit.  I wanted the kids to try something other than PowerPoint (yawn) and even beyond Prezi.  I was looking for an online tool that would allow my students to create a collage with images and text and stumbled across information on Glogster.  The educational version of Glogster will allow a teacher to sign up a course and enroll 100 students for free.  Students will create their profile which consists of a username, email address and other generic questions.  Once enrolled, students can click "create glog" and a blank canvas appears.  They can add animated images or regular clipart, videos, text or upload images from a saved file into their glog.  I have my students create a career collage and look up facts and figures on their future career.  Glogster is very user friendly and FREE!  Once students are finished adding their required text to their glog, then they can change the background, change font color, style, size, etc to personalize their glog.

Glogs can be paired with google, uploaded to edmoto or embedded into a webpage.  Below is an example of one of my student's career glog.
Here is a link to Glogster:  http://edu.glogster.com/

2 comments:

  1. I chose this as my newest tool also. I really like your idea of letting the students create a career glog. I had read on a site that Glogster was free; however, I was only offered a 30-day version for free when I created an account. Let me know if there is something different I could be doing to get a free version. This is an awesome tool for students and teachers. It allows the students to be very creative. I am going to create some glogs with my students during the remainder of the year and decide if it is something I want to continue using. I've only created one glog, but am very excited about it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great to hear more about Glogster and how you can use it in your classroom! I agree it is a great option from the standard ppt that kids are getting very tired of using.

    ReplyDelete