Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Networked Classroom

What is a networked classroom?  With the availability of Web 2.0 tools, useful websites for classroom and lesson planning, blogs and podcasts the classroom of today might also be called a networked classroom if online communication and collaboration is being used largely for the interaction of the class participants.  There are some advantages and disadvantages of a networked classroom.

·         Disadvantages include:
o   Online safety of students
o   Technology integration into the classroom with students who may not be comfortable with new media tools
o   Students want to “try” the new, emerging technology without actually having to “learn” how to use it correctly
·         Advantages include:
o   Offering choices with online resources; giving students options to complete assignments with various tools to choose from depending on what the student may already be familiar with using
o   Communication with students can take place at anytime and anywhere.  Using online tools can allow teachers and students to chat, text, blog, email and communicate through any of the online tools available.

A teacher can slowly transition their classroom to become a networked classroom by first knowing what is available, how it can become beneficial to the class and understanding how the tool/resource will be integrated into the classroom.  Knowing what resources are available is the first step in becoming a networked classroom.  Keeping up with the trends can only help educators to discover what new technologies are available; one step further, teachers must know how to use these tools before they can introduce them to students.  One of my biggest pet peeves are teachers who assign web page design, for example, without first knowing how to design a web page themselves.  It will be harder in the long run for educators to lose sight of emerging trends with online resources when most of our resources are in fact, online. 

So once we become aware with what is available and understand how to use it, we then need to decide how it will fit into our curriculum.  Just because something looks neat does not mean it will fit into our needs in the classroom.  For example, in the article online, 7 Ed Tech Trends to Watch in 2014, a digital textbook is #4 on the list.  For my courses, a digital textbook isn’t always the best option.  My students are using Photoshop and InDesign software programs and having a digital textbook to learn these software programs would not have worked well with the assignments.  I found it easier to show them how to use the software on the overhead so they could follow along with me on the overhead projector.  To my point, just because a digital textbook is an emerging trend does not mean it will work for me in my classroom. 

A networked classroom may address the diverse needs of all learners, especially if you have visual learners in the classroom. The online tool being used could coincide with written directions to enhance the lesson.  Also, the idea of completing the work at anytime and anywhere may encourage learners with additional needs to work at their own pace and not the pace of the traditional classroom setting.  Keeping the class safe in this online environment needs to be the top priority with the integration of technology adding to the enhancement of the lesson and encouraging all students to collaborate in this new, digital setting.

Photo courtesy of: 21st Century Learning Lab Blog


6 comments:

  1. I think so many teachers skip the step of seeing where the particular technology fits into their curriculum because they just want to incorporate the technology anyway. We shouldn't use an app or technology just because we enjoy using it. We should it because it has a purpose and will help aid in the understanding of the material. I am all for using as much technology as I can in my classroom, but I need to figure out where it fits in with everything else my class is doing.

    I just received new textbooks this year and they have an online edition. I have found that most of my students would rather read the text on the iPad than from the book. They told me that they like how the iPad is much smaller, so it fits easily on their desks. They also like to zoom in to make the text larger. Personally, I would rather read from a book, but I wasn't raised with as much access to technology as our students have today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you said "Just because something looks neat does not mean it will fit into our needs in our classroom." As we transition to be networked classrooms (which I think is fantastic) I think it is important we don't use technology simply for technology's sake. We need to take the time to find technologies that actually benefit our students and enhance our curriculum. Technology is a wonderful educational tool -- but it is just a tool, not the end all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your photo at the bottom hits home. As I agree with Ashley and Katie, I know my biggest fear is the misuse of the technology on my end. Someone thinking we are "playing" or if I spend more time instructing how to use the tool, my expectations, etc. However, I think we sometimes get so wrapped up in the "assessment" prep whether it is MAP, EOCs, SmarterBalance, or just a common assessment-- we have to take time to make it FUN for the students. Sometimes FUN for the students, is using what they know best- technology. For some, it is what they don't know best- but WANT to know better. I feel I use technology- but at the same time I limit my student's learning abilities due to my fears. I am getting MUCH more comfortable with the options that we have at our fingertips! I am getting VERY anxious to start letting them get more options in their hands- just hate that it has taken me until almost April of my 8th year of teaching to start realizing! *Great blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your comment that technology, such as e-books, aren't a perfect fit all of the time - in fact, no technology is a perfect fit all of the time - so it's wise to use it as you see it will fit, rather than trying to make something work that really isn't best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so right about not all technology tools will fit into every classroom. It is important to use tools that coincide with not only the content being taught but also age appropriate. I also agree that teachers should know how to use the technology before assigning the work to their students.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Jen! It is really important to know the materials as far as technology comes before assigning the work :) I learned this the hard way trying to teach a lesson on the SMARTboard one day and not running through it before. I agree with Linda about making the lesson meaningful, not just doing it to be "using" technology. If it is irrelevant then the lesson isn't meaningful, so what's the point? They would get more from a worksheet than technology if it isn't relevant. So true. So many good points.

    ReplyDelete