Monday, March 10, 2014

Personal Learning Networks in the Classroom

I like the idea of using Google Hangouts in the classroom as a way for students to collaborate outside of school.  Google Hangouts is an online tool for instant messaging and video chats.  It is very easy to set up and can be used on a computer or digital device. Click here to learn more about how to set up a Google Hangout Prezi on Google Hangouts.


Image courtesy of Google Hangouts



Another Web 2.0 tool that is useful in the classroom and used as a PLN is Twitter.  I know several teachers in our building who use Twitter as a means of communication when (1) the teacher is absent (2) the student is absent or for (3) short, quick responses needed for an assignment outside of class.  Twitter is also a good way to network with other educators in your field by searching for specific hashtags (#).  Here is a link for beginning Twitter users: Twitter Tips & Tricks

Image courtesy of toptenpk.com




3 comments:

  1. I am really interested in how to make a presence using Twitter - like "branding" who you are as an educator. I think it is still an untapped resource for many of us. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Linda, and I am one of those users that has not tapped into Twitter very heavily yet. I had the best of intentions when I first signed up. I searched and found resourceful educational users and others for professional development. I added some of my colleagues. I was ready to dive in...then, as many things do, it fell by the wayside when I started getting busy. When I saw we would be using it more for this class, I got excited, and I hope that using it this time will help me to see benefits that I do not want to let slip away again. I love the idea of being able to connect with students quickly and easily through Twitter for classroom purposes, so maybe I will look into that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not used Google Hangouts before so am interested to learn more about that. I teach 4th grade students so I am trying to find a PLN that I might be able to use with my younger students. I am a big fan of Twitter for myself. I have found some great resources on there and I am trying to become better at tweeting more myself.

    ReplyDelete