Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Twitter for Education

There are many reasons why teachers should use Twitter.  This is another means of social media and networking with teachers across the globe.  Asking one question on Twitter can yield hundreds of responses within minutes.  It is free.  Teachers are often looking for additional tools but do not have the means financially from their district to implement new ideas in the classroom.  Not only do you get immediate, free information but the information is up-to-date and relevant for today’s classroom.  I have found you also get variety when it comes to Twitter. You may have one idea for your classroom and by posting this idea on Twitter; you could get another perspective from a different community that may fit in well with your students.     

I enjoy using Twitter; especially for the immediate feedback responses. I never thought of it as “building a reputation” but I recently read an article and some teachers were questioned on using Twitter for the classroom.  One teacher said, “Twitter has helped me to build a strong professional reputation. Because the content that I share is seen as valuable by a large number of followers, my voice is recognized and respected. That ability to develop a reputation as an expert is something that many teachers working with traditional tools in traditional classrooms don't ever have. I've always known that I was the intellectual equal to those working beyond the classroom. Twitter gives me the chance to publicly prove that.”   That is a great point and will give me something to work toward.  I would like to increase my followers and find more educators to share resources and tools to hopefully create my own online reputation as an expert.  Follow me @doyel79


Here is the link to the article. Several teachers were surveyed on their Twitter use in the classroom:  http://jolt.merlot.org/vol7no3/alderton_0911.htm



3 comments:

  1. I never thought of Twitter as a way to build a reputation, but I see how it would allow teachers to do that. I am very quiet, so this will allow me to share my ideas and knowledge with others. I think this is something that needs to be addressed with students because many of them have accounts. It is just like Facebook in the way that everyone needs to be posting appropriate material because it is part of their online reputation. Thanks for sharing the video!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the article you shared. It's interesting to me to see all the numbers and ways people use Twitter in their classroom. I also love the quote about Twitter building your reputation. Just like Ashley said, I never thought about it like that, but it totally makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your article. It is a great read to help in understanding the value of Twitter as an educator.

    ReplyDelete